Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Saving on Groceries is Not Rocket Science













Shopping for groceries on a budget is not rocket science.

My # 1 recommendation for staying within a budget is think ahead and then make a list of what you’ll need for the week.

I can hear the collective chorus ... “A list! My mother used to make lists!”

And your mother wrote shopping lists for a reason: As Chief Home Economist she knew that list-making is the best way to avoid impulse purchases.

If like me, you want to grocery shop without over-spending, then my second recommendation is that you do everything possible to avoid putting items into your shopping cart that are items you don't necessarily need.

Above is a pic of my groceries at the check out; they're packed into one carry bag. I stuck to a smaller list on this shopping trip -- $50 worth -- smaller, because I had left-over frozen veggies and some fruit from last week, plus I had grains and legumes in my cupboard.

So a list it is! And to help get you started next post will be a sample list.

No comments: